Sun Chemical, in partnership with Inca Digital, has developed digital ink jet technology for high-speed printing on corrugated packaging.
FastJet™ Technology - A Breakthrough in Digital Ink Jetting
FastJet print technology allows full-color sheetfed printing on corrugated substrates at more than 20 times the speed of previous ink jet technology.
Whereas other print concepts are based on a moving, scanning print head, this printer utilizes a single-pass, fixed print head array.
High-Speed Digital Printing
FastJet technology utilizes state-of-the-art pigmented UV inks, developed by SunJet, to provide very fast inline curing, which produces high-quality color at a linear print speed of 100 meters (300 feet) per minute and a minimum print resolution of 300 x 300 dpi. The result is up to 6,000 square meters ( 60,000 square feet) per hour of output, surpassing any product currently available on the market.
Providing Value to Converters and End-Users
FastJet™ technology delivers all the advantages of digital printing, including printing variable information in a single pass, allowing for mass customization. FastJet also provides for on-demand printing, adding value to the printer/converter and end-user. Sun Chemical’s high-speed digital ink jet solution offers the flexibility, control and ease of use that customers need, without the costs associated with prepress activities.
The value that FastJet offers to converters includes:
- Increased operational flexibility
- Reduced setup time and costs
- Reduced cost for short runs
- Lower cost of production
- Higher unit sales prices/margins
- FastJet also provides significant value to end-user customers using point-of-sale boxes to increase the impact of advertising, brand recognition and ultimately revenue in retail markets.
The technology offers food, beverage and other consumer goods manufacturers the following benefits:
- Ability to purchase short print runs
- Reduced lead time/Just-In-Time delivery
- Reduced inventory and storage space needed
- Greater customization and personalization
- POP decorated transport packaging/shipping containers (leading to reduced supplementary POP advertising)
- Greater advertising impact
Capabilities of a Single-Pass Printer for Corrugated Packaging
Using industrial drop-on-demand print head technology and UV curing inks, the FastJet technology can cope with the materials used in “real-life” industrial applications.
Matching your existing workflows, and suitable for a variety of board thicknesses, the technology will complement existing printing operations and increase flexibility, line-up time and the ability to respond to customer needs.
This single-pass printer offers the following features and benefits:
- Sheetfed corrugated board with full-color fixed and variable graphics
- Color right first sheet with no setup waste
- No need to print and store “overs” in case a small order is called off
- Print with confidence exactly the quantity the customer needs
- Meet Just-In-Time demands through improved workflow
- Add variable data “on the fly”
- Flexibility to easily incorporate language or product variant changes within a print run
- Ability to change price promotions within a job
- Ability to collate on the press
- Excellent color control from start to finish
- Input from a variety of file formats (both Mac- and PC-based), including PDF and JDF files
FastJet Print Technology Also Offers:
- 1.6 m/sec. print speed
- 1040 mm print width
- 300 x 300 dpi resolution
- CMYK +Varnish
- Nitrogen blanket UV curing system
- Digital workflow
- Print technology Piezo drop-on-demand ink jet technology
- Print speeds a variety of modes up to 6,000 square meters per hour
- Single pass - linear speed up to 1.6 m/sec
- Maximum substrate thickness Print width 1040 mm on up to 1.2 m x 1.7 m sheets
- Board up to 10 mm thickness
Resolution 300 x 300 dpi
Rip PC-based Raster Image Processor
All popular desktop formats, including PostScript 3, EPS, TIFF, JDF and PDF, using both RGB and CMYK files
Sun Chemical UV Inks: Four-color process, UV curing, pigmented inks
Physical Dimensions (approximate)
- Width 5 meters
- Length 10 meters
- Height 2 meters
- Temperature and humidity Operating range 20° C to 30° C
- Less than 80% humidity
- Voltage supply Constant power supply
- 3-Phase neutral & earth
- Air requirements Factory air – (min) 90 psi (6 bar) to ISO8573.1:2001(E) Class 1.3.1
* Data subject to change without notice.