BUILD SUSTAINABILITY INTO YOUR BUSINESS
How Fiber-Based Corrugated Packaging…
- Reduces the impact on the environment
- Protects the natural systems of the planet
- Provides customized packaging solutions
Fiber-based corrugated packaging is manufactured from sustainable resources and designed for true cradle-to-cradle recovery and recycling, which reduces your environmental footprint.
Packaging Minus the Waste
We design your packaging with the entire product life cycle in mind.
Containerboard from International Paper is:
- Made from 100% renewable forest fiber procured in accordance with SFI® standards and recycled fiber.
- Manufactured with over 70% biomass energy that reduces greenhouse gas emissions
Corrugated packaging from International Paper is:
- Engineered from strong 100% renewable fiber. Combined with our advanced technology and approach to design, this reduces the amount of packaging material required to achieve optimal strength, reducing total supply chain costs. (Ask about our optimization tool: Box Compression Test Pro™.)
- Often shelf-ready, designed to reduce the need for repackaging and to minimize waste.
- Reusable as packaging and recoverable for recycling into new packaging and other paper products.
Where do old corrugated containers go?
Recovered fiber in the U.S. is effectively used in many paper and packaging products.
Sustainable Packaging Defined
- Is beneficial, safe & healthy for individuals and communities throughout its life cycle
- Meets market criteria for performance and cost.
- Is sourced, manufactured, transported, and recycled using renewable energy.
- Maximizes the use of renewable or recycled source materials
- Is manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices.
- Is made from materials healthy in all probable end-of-life scenarios.
- Is physically designed to optimize materials and energy.
- Is effectively recovered and utilized in biological and/or industrial cradle-to-cradle cycles.
CRADLE-TO-CRADLE LIFE CYCLE
Corrugated packaging is fiber-based and sustainable. It naturally flows in an appropriate, continuous cycle through either a recycle flow or a resource flow where waste has been designed out of the life cycle of the packaging.
Recycle Flow: Fiber-based packaging can be recovered, reused or recycled and maintains its value throughout the life cycle. Losses from the cycle are minimized by recovering packaging for reuse as raw material for papermaking, for energy recovery, or for biomass utilization through composting.
Resource Flow: Fiber-based packaging is made from 100% renewable raw material (fiber) that can be returned to the environment in a safe manner via composting or energy recovery without the release of harmful emissions.
Reduce Your Environmental Footprint…
With corrugated packaging that is renewable, recyclable, recoverable and compostable.
Our 100% renewable fiber-based packaging is one of the most environmentally healthy, beneficial and safe packaging materials in all probable end-of-life scenarios, including:
Reuse: Can be designed and engineered as a reusable container.
Composting: Can be composted following most applications.
Recycling: Can be recycled and recovered for use in other paper and packaging products.
Energy Recovery: Can be used as a greenhouse gas neutral, renewable biofuel.
Landfill: With its high recovery rate, is less likely to end up in landfills.
What is the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® Program?
The Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI®)Program is a comprehensive system of principles, objectives and performance measures developed by foresters, conservationists and scientists that combines the perpetual growing and harvesting of trees with the protection of wildlife, plants, soil and water quality. There are currently over 136 million acres of forestland in North America enrolled in the SFI program, making it among the world's largest sustainable forestry programs.
Did You Know?
Biorenable fuels are greenhouse gas neutral when the fuels are derived from sustainably managed forests.
About Sustainable Packaging
Let us help you achieve your sustainability improvement goals with Box Compression Test Pro™.
Our new corrugated packaging solutions tool is based on proprietary technology and delivers customized packaging that fits your unique situation while improving sustainability and reducing costs. Get optimal performance, a smaller environmental footprint and improved utilization throughout the entire supply chain.
INNOVATIONS IN PACKAGING
From corrugated shipping products to food and beverage packaging to high-impact packaging designs, we safeguard the delivery and enhance the usefulness and appeal of millions of products used every day.