Performance Packaging Consulting (PPC) is an independent packaging consulting business that has expertise in consumer and industrial products packaging. Capabilities include material selection, assistance with sourcing, cost reduction, concept and prototype generation, package/equipment integration and implementation of all solutions.
Performance Packaging Consulting has provided services to companies in the following industries:
- Retail Food
- Quick Service Restaurant
- Health and Beauty Aids
- Durable Consumer Goods
- New package development- Using systems approach, research, identify, develop and test optimal new packaging
- Cost savings- Cost reduction through source reduction, material selection and design efficiency
- Project management from concept to store shelf- Integration with all relevant functional groups, which includes timeline development and maintenance
- Package concept generation- Creation and development of prototypes
- Packaging equipment selection, installation and start-up.
- Feasibility studies- Determine practical fit with resources and perform cost analyses
- Competitive analysis- Comprehensive examination of competitor packaging and industry surveys
- Sourcing of packaging and co-packers- Extensive industry knowledge and contacts
- Shelf-life improvement- Barrier packaging selection tailored to product and targeted shelf life
- Materials selection- Thorough knowledge of packaging materials to optimize cost/performance of packaging system
- Regulatory compliance- Ensure packaging meets FDA regulations
- Distribution damage assessment and solutions- On-site inspection, study of the distribution system and improved packaging designs
- Shipping efficiency improvement- Analysis of cube, pallet patterns and stack height
- Promotional packaging- Display shippers, end of aisle displays, specialty graphics
- Packaging line troubleshooting- Packaging design that integrates production line requirements to maximize production efficiencies
- Writing and organization of packaging specifications
Successful Packaging Solutions
Our packaging expertise covers a broad spectrum of both common and unique requirements. Here are descriptions of several of our packaging solutions, including food items and consumer goods. Let us solve your packaging challenges!
Complete development of new yogurt package, integrated with new FFS equipment and support start-up on an accelerated production ramp-up schedule.
- Finished the development and implemented unique "stick pack" packaging for a new yogurt product called "Go-Gurt”
- Was a member of a team that worked in partnership with the equipment supplier to design, build and troubleshoot new concept form/fill/seal machines to efficiently package the product
- Gathered equipment performance and package quality data
- Analyzed data and made recommendations for improvements that were incorporated into packaging and equipment
Successful product launch. Production equipment was able to meet very aggressive ramp-up schedule. High quality product was shipped on time with no shortages or deletions occurring.
QSR's packaging department did not have adequate resources to complete demanding marketing calendar projects and various cost savings projects.
Developed and implemented numerous food packages that included: box and carryout bag, wraps, rigid food containers, promotional packaging, plastic "cruiser" drink cups, pouch material cost reduction and conversion from #10 can to pouch.
One of these package types, a family of rigid food containers, provided a cost savings of $2,000,000 while at the same time greatly increased package function, aesthetics and consumer appeal.
Health and personal care company lacked resources to develop packaging for an upcoming launch of a new line of products.
Developed packaging for a new line of personal care products that included shampoo, conditioner, styling gel, styling foam and body wash. This included the retail packaging and sampler packaging for each product.
Successful on-time product launch. Packaging could be run at high efficiencies by co-packer. New product line was well received by distributors.
Due to regulation changes, a food ingredient company needed to find a new way to ship chili pepper to European customers while still maintaining product quality.
Developed a large (50-lb.) MAP bag for ground chili pepper and defined the filling/gassing process.
The new package was successfully filled and shipped. The new package was then used for all European shipments. It made it possible for the company to keep those customers that otherwise would have been lost. Testing had shown that the MAP packaging maintained product quality at the required levels and met the shelf-life requirements.
A large consumer products company needed packaging developed, sourced and implemented for a complete new line of upscale residential door fixtures. The packaging needed to communicate the image of high quality while still being cost effective and acceptable for store handling at Home Depot.
Developed packaging for 14 different products. Primary, secondary and tertiary packaging was designed for each. Designs were verified through drop and vibration testing.
The new packaging was used in the on-time launch of the new product line. The products were well received by Home Depot.
A nutritional supplement company had quality problems with their highest volume product. Pills of the supplement, sourced in Asia, were degrading during shipment.
Performed an analysis of the supplement’s distribution environment. Researched various pouch film barrier materials, film structures, their costs, and potential suppliers.
Recommended new pouch film specification for the product and potential sources. Tests with the new film proved the elimination of supplement degradation. The company shifted all of these supplements to this type of film.