Lumetrics develops and manufactures high precision thickness measurement and gauging systems for a wide range of industrial applications.
Started in 2002 and based in Rochester NY, the company licensed thin film measurement technology from Eastman Kodak and created OptiGauge, a new approach to non-contact optical measurement of multi-layer materials that is fast, accurate, flexible, and scalable to almost any QA laboratory or manufacturing operation.
Lumetrics' OptiGauge is ideal for measurement of a wide range of materials, including:
- Flat films and roll stock
- Tubing, including catheters, dimension stock, capillary tubes, and angioplasty balloons
- Glass products such as automotive windows, float glass, optical flats and windows, and ampoules
- Ophthalmic, contact lenses, spherical and aspherical single and multiple-layer components
OptiGauge systems are in daily use at Fortune 500 companies in the medical, pharmaceutical, food packaging, eye-care products and coatings industries.
ADVANCED DIODE - BASED MEASUREMENT and ANALYSIS
The OptiGauge is a single platform that provides manufacturers non-contact, accurate, real-time measurements of multi-layer materials. No longer does quality control rely on hand measurements of random samples with multiple pieces of equipment. The OptiGauge provides cost savings and flexibility whether in a clean room or on-line.
OptiGauge systems are integrated, diode-based micro-measuring systems. There are widely used for both in-line, as well static measurement of both single and multi-layer materials and product, such as contact lenses, catheters, tubing and films of all types. Our systems are in daily use at Fortune 500 companies in medical, pharmaceutical, eye–care and coatings industries.
Fast & accurate real time non-contact and non-destructive monitoring of flat and round stock thickness from twelve microns to twelve millimeters
Measures and displays multiple layers and internal dimensions; faster and more reliable and with greater accuracy than traditional gauging approaches
Automatic scanning for significant labor cost savings and meaningful reductions in line stoppages and wasted product. OptiGauge quickly pays its own way!
- On-line real time measurement or stationary QA lab analysis
Self-calibrating and self-checking system – reduces costly setup and adjustment time. System requires minimal operator training
- Advanced control capabilities through SCADA and PLC manufacturing systems
How OptiGauge Works
The OptiGauge is a new and highly advanced way of monitoring materials whether flat, round, or bubbled. It directs coherent light through translucent materials, even dyed, and measures the reflections coming back from each of the surfaces. It’s so flexible that a single system can support multiple measurements kilometers away from each other.
Click here to view a diagrammatic representation.
OptiGauge is Revolutionary
- Laser diode beam directed at target material will reflect and capture portion of light reflected from each layer in the film
- Advanced processing algorithms calculate and display individual layer thickness on Lumetrics’ graphical interface
- OptiGauge can measure multi-part flat and round stock with 0.1micron (0.000004 inch) accuracy
- Optical thickness technology based on patented Eastman Kodak technologies, and thoroughly proven by this world leader in thin film applications
- 1310 nm wavelength laser is eye-safe for plant and lab use
OptiGauge is Scalable
- Up to eight OptiGauge probes can be multiplexed from one central switch & processor
- Optical fiber allows for almost unlimited measurement distances – more than 1,000
- OptiGauge system can communicate with a variety of plant SCADA and logic control systems
OptiGauge is Accurate!
- Intuitive Graphical Interface shows reflective energy peaks that are converted to actual thickness measurements
- Readouts available in inches or microns
- Measurement range: 12 microns to 12 millimeters (0.0005 to 0.5 inches)
- Over thirty measurements per second are averaged for noise reduction and increased accuracy
Lumetrics OptiGauge Applications
The OptiGauge measures materials as diverse as medical films to tubing and ophthalmics. The keys to the system’s success are its accuracy, flexibility, and simplicity of use. For each application, a standard control unit includes the components circuitry and software that provides its precise measurements; the only difference in applications is the fixturing to position the probe. This means the system can be easily moved to provide near plug-and-play, non-contact measurements wherever a probe the size of a pencil can be positioned.
Lumetrics OptiGauge can be deployed in a broad range of manufacturing operations and applications to ensure real-time feedback to plant operators and QA managers.
QA/QC Lab Analysis
OptiGauge is also a versatile lab instrument that provides repeatable and reliable sample analysis measurements for technicians and inspectors. Moreover, it presents and ideal data collection platform for government-mandated other health, safety and production history data collection and recording!
Typical Applications Include:
- Cast and blown films production and laminating
- Catheters, medical tubing, and similar tube stock
- Wet or dry adhesive applications
- Medical membranes and multi-layer diagnostic products
- Ophthalmic products: hard or soft contact lenses, corrective lenses, and implants
- Thermo-form medical and precision blister pack plastics for pharmaceuticals
- Hard coatings on polycarbonate materials
- Metal foil-backed packaging lid stock or similar
- Glass products: automotive windshields, lenses, filters, laboratory glassware, etc.
- Food product barrier films and packaging
- Increases product consistency with real-time “point of production” sensors
- Reduces labor and repetitive stress issues through automated monitoring
- Ensures quality of finished goods
- Controls material scrap rates and production loss costs
- Pays for itself quickly with a favorable IRR