Cosmetic Package Testing plays an important role in cosmetic package quality control. As fashionable products, cosmetics need exquisite packages and best protection during Transmit and shelf-life time. Labthink Instruments Co. Ltd. (www.labthink.cn), the world famous testing instrument and service provider, meets the demands for cosmetic packaging and application, integrates testing items and instruments as follows, so as to contribute to the package quality testing of cosmetic companies and relevant package suppliers.
BARRIER PROPERTY TESTING OF COSMETIC PACKAGES: Barrier property testing of packages is one of the vital testing items for cosmetic packages. Barrier property is the definition for the barrier effect of packaging materials against gas, liquid and other permeable substances. Barrier property is the important factor affecting the product quality during shelf life period.
The unsaturated links in the cosmetic ingredients are easy to be oxidized and deteriorated; the lost of moisture in the cosmetic would lead to hardening of the cosmetics. At the same time, the fragrance of the cosmetics has great influence on the marketing of cosmetics. Therefore, the barrier property testing includes the permeability testing of oxygen, water vapor and fragrant gases through cosmetic packages.
- Oxygen Barrier Property Testing: This index is mainly for the oxygen transmission rate testing of films, laminated films, cosmetic pouches or bottles. Hereinafter, we take Labthink PERME OX2/230 Oxygen Transmission Rate Test System as the example. Clamp the pre-conditioned specimen in between the testing chamber, oxygen or air flows in one side of the film, and high pure nitrogen flows on the other side. Oxygen molecule migrates through the film and into the high nitrogen side, and is carried by the nitrogen flow to the sensor. With the oxygen concentration analysis of the sensor, the oxygen transmission quantity can be calculated. The testing principles of pouches and bottles are similar.
- Water Vapor Transmission Rate Testing: Water Vapor Transmission Rate Testing is mainly for the testing of water vapor transmission rate of film materials and packaging containers like bottles, bags and cans. Through this WVTR testing, technical indexes for control and adjustment of packaging materials can be achieved so as to meet the varied application needs. Take PERME W3/330 Water Vapor Transmission Rate Testing System as an example. Clamp the specimen in between the testing chamber, a constant and stable nitrogen flow flows in one side of the film and dry nitrogen flows in the other side of the film. Owing to the humidity difference, water vapor would penetrate from the high humidity side into the low humidity side. The penetrated humidity (moisture) is carried by the dry nitrogen to the sensor, who would output electronic signal and then, calculate water vapor permeability quantity. For packaging bags and bottles, dry nitrogen flows inside the container and the outside is in high humidity state.
- Fragrance Maintenance Property Testing: This Index is of great importance to cosmetics. Once the fragrance loses, there would be great influence on selling. Take PERME OR2/410 Organic Gas Transmission Rate Test System as the example. In the regulated temperature, separate the chamber into two halves by the specimen with one side as dense fragrance side and the other side as low concentrated fragrance, thus, forming a concentration difference between the sides. Fragrance gas will penetrate into the low concentration side and be carried to the isolation chamber by the carrying gas. FID, hydrogen flame ionization detector, can measure the quantity of the fragrance gas and further calculate the fragrance gas quantity in a unit area within a unit time.
THE SEAL AND LEAK TESTING OF COSMETIC PACKAGES: The seal and leak testing of cosmetic packages is to test the integrated performance to avoid external migration into the packages and content leakage. The commonly used testing methods are as follows:
- Underwater Decompression Method: Take Labthink MFY-01 Leak Tester as example, this leak tester is made according to underwater decompression method. The testing procedure is as follows: put proper amount of distilled water in the vacuum chamber, and immerge the specimen completely into the chamber. Set the vacuum pressure and time, start the test. The tester will begin vacuumizing the chamber to form inner-out pressure difference for the immerged specimen. Observe the gas leakage of the specimen and determine the sealablity of the specimen.
- Positive Pressure Testing Method: Take Labthink LSSD-01 Leak and Seal Strength Detector as example. This tester applies positive pressure testing method. Through pressure exertion into the inner package to test the compression resistance, sealing performance and leak indexes so as to achieve the aim of integration and seal strength testing.
HEADSPACE ANALYSIS OF COSMETIC PACKAGES: Oxygen and moisture are the main factors affecting quality guarantee period of most products. According to researches, the control of gas proportion inside cosmetic packages can effectively prolong the product quality guarantee period or improve storage. Little amount of air would be left inside cosmetic packaging after filling. Therefore, the testing and analysis of internal oxygen or air headspace analysis requires headspace analyzer. Take Labthink HGA-01 Headspace Analyzer as example. This headspace air analyzer can be applied in oxygen, carbon dioxide content and proportion testing inside sealed bags, bottles and cans. This analyzer can help accurate and prompt evaluation of inside gas ingredient analysis in production, warehouse and lab, so as to guide production and guarantee product shelf life.